Healthy and Delicious Sweet Potato Pasta
Sometimes I am am still amazed that a food prefaced with the word sweet can be so good for you. The sweet potato contains a huge amount of carotenes including beta-carotene and lutein. Carotenes are converted to Vitamin A in your body where it helps promote healthy bones, and boosts the immune system and even promotes healthy skin. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and other important micronutrients such as copper, manganese, and biotin. Sweet potatoes also have a high amount of fiber and surprisingly, they are not high in sugar. This weeks recipe captures all of that healthy goodness into a delicious pasta dish. You won’t believe it is good for you, it is so delicious.
Sweet Potato Penne
- 12 ounces penne pasta – multigrain
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 leeks – sliced into half moons
- 3 cloves garlic – sliced thin
- 1/4 cup sage – fresh and chopped
- 3 cups sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
Prep Time : 25 minutes
Cook Time : 15 minutes
- In a large pasta pot, cook pasta according to package directions until al denté. Drain pasta reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook until they begin to soften. Stir while cooking for approximately 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and sage and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cover and cook until tender, approximately 6-8 minutes. Stir a couple of times during cooking.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and the reserved cooking water. Simmer while stirring until the potatoes are fully cooked, 2-4 minutes.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss together.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and serve warm.
*Note: To speed up cooking the sweet potatoes, place them in a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for five minutes before adding them to the skillet.