Curried Sweet Potato Egg Muffin Cups
Created by a registered dietitian for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 6 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the mashed sweet potato and stir until mixed thoroughly. Fold in the red pepper, cilantro, scallions, and cheese if using.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes. Unmold and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 12 muffins
Nutrition per serving (1 muffin): 63 calories; 2g total fat; 127mg sodium; 8g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 3g protein