Sweet Potato Sonker
Recipe: Sweet Potato Sonker
- 4 medium sweetpotatoes, cooked and sliced
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 to 1 cup reserved sweetpotato-cooking Liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cover whole sweet potatoes in water and boil for 20 minutes or until soft and done. Remove, cool and discard sweet potato skins. Save 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Cool, then slice enough of the sweetpotatoes to yield 4 cups.
- Line pie plate with 1 crust. Layer sweet potato slices in pie crust, filling to edges.
- Combine 2 cups sugar with 3/4 of the reserved cooking liquid and pour over sweet potatoes. Add additional liquid if necessary to just cover sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle pie with nutmeg and dot with butter.
- Cut second pie crust into 1/2-inch strips and crisscross on top of sweet potatoes to make a lattice covering. Crimp the pastry edges together. Dust the top of pie with remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top crust is browned. Cool before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 6-7