Sweet Potato Biscuits
Recipe: Sweet Potato Biscuits
We can’t think of anything more comforting than warm, flaky biscuits, so why not make them even better by adding a unique and sweet twist? Our sweet potato biscuits will be a new family favorite that can be served for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even dessert. The sweet flavor and creamy texture of sweet potatoes paired with the warm spices make these sweet potato biscuits a winning choice no matter what occasion. All we can say now is, when is it time to eat?
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Into large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using pastry blender or two knives, cut shortening into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in sweet potatoes and spices. Add milk and stir with fork until mixture comes together.
- On lightly floured board, knead 10 times. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with biscuit cutter dipped in flour. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Number of servings (yield): 18
Nutrition per serving (1 biscuit): 76.97 calories; 1.43 g protein; 12.41 g carbohydrates; 2.38 g total fa