Sweet Potato Biscuits
Recipe: Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Into large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using pastry blender or two knives, cut shortening into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in sweet potatoes and spices. Add milk and stir with fork until mixture comes together.
- On lightly floured board, knead 10 times. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with biscuit cutter dipped in flour. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Number of servings (yield): 18
Nutrition per serving (1 biscuit): 76.97 calories; 1.43 g protein; 12.41 g carbohydrates; 2.38 g total fat