Sweet Potato Cabbage Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Recipe: Sweet Potato Cabbage Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- 1 medium sweet potato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound roasted, sliced squab or chicken breast
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Hot Bacon Dressing (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Sprinkle sweet potato with salt and pepper; wrap in foil. Roast in center of oven at 375º F, 45 minutes or until tender; cool. Cut cabbage in half through the root end; remove core. Thinly slice cabbage crosswise, place in bowl; toss with vinegar and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Cut into 1-inch pieces; keep warm.
- Slice cooled sweetpotato into rounds; sauté with butter and honey until glazed; set aside. Heat oil in large pan; add cabbage. Toss 30 seconds. Add shredded squab or chicken, bacon pieces, sweet potato and pecans; toss for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup Hot Bacon Dressing and toss.
- Serve immediately on warm plates. Sprinkle each salad with blue cheese and parsley.
To make Hot Bacon Dressing:
- Cook 1 slice bacon in skillet until crisp; remove and set aside.
- To skillet, add 2 tablespoons diced celery, 2 tablespoons minced onion. Cook for two minutes on medium heat until tender.
- Add 3 tablespoons each red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar, firmly packed brown sugar and 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup olive oil, blending until emulsified.
- Crumble bacon and add to dressing.
Number of servings (yield): 4-6