Sweet Potato Falafel
Registered dietitian finalist for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups stemmed, chopped kale
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Add the garlic, kale and parsley to the food processor and process for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the greens are finely chopped.
- Add the chickpeas and process again until the beans are crumbled but not yet turned into paste. Remove half the contents of the process and put into a medium sized bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the processor except for cooking spray. Process for 1 minute, until all the ingredients become incorporated but not too pasty
- Add the processed mixture to the mixture in the bowl. Using a spatula, stir well to combine. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Heat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put parchment on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray.
- Using a small cookie scoop, or melon baller, make balls the size of ping pong balls and place on baking sheet. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side. Flip the balls over and bake another 10 minutes. When time is up, let the balls sit for 5 minutes to cool before serving them.
- Serve in pita bread, on corn tortillas (pictured), or wrap in lettuce leaves, with a tahini-garlic sauce on the side.
Number of servings (yield): 4 portions of 5 falafel balls each
Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Add a little water to thin, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4 servings (41.9g each)
Nutrition per serving (falafel with yogurt tahini sauce): 259 calories; 10g total fat; 621mg sodium; 36g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 10g protein
Nutrition per serving (yogurt tahini sauce only): 65 calories; 5g total fat; 167mg sodium; 3g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 2g protein