Sweet Potato French Toast Cups
Recipe: Sweet Potato French Toast Cups with Vanilla Cardamom Creme Anglaise
Summary: Adapted from Type A Housewife blog, finalist in 2012 No More ‘Mallows Contest
- 1 medium North Carolina sweet potato (1/2 pound)
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces stale baguette, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large eggs plus 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sweet potato on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until soft, about 45 minutes; puree in food processor.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide bread pieces evenly among all 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat 3 whole eggs. Add milk, 1/2 cup half-and-half, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the brown sugar; whisk until well-combined. Whisk in pureed sweet potato.
- Pour egg mixture into muffin cups over bread, dividing evenly. Cover muffin tins with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- To make the Crème Anglaise, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 cups half-and-half until just simmering, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and 4 egg yolks. Slowly add half of half-and-half mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour half-and-half and egg mixture back into saucepan; raise heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until sauce has thickened and coats back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat immediately; stir in vanilla extract and cardamom. Pour through strainer into a heat-proof bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 325°F degrees. Remove plastic wrap from muffin tins. With a spoon, push bread down into the egg mixture. Bake until edges are golden but not brown, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Loosen cups by running a butter knife along the edges before popping them out. Serve with chilled Crème Anglaise.
Number of servings (yield): 6