Tar Heel Fritters
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4c brown sugar
- 1/2c ricotta cheese
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1c cornmeal+ more for rolling and dusting
- 1 lb. of chopped or pulled barbeque, with sauce
- Oil for frying
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, and ricotta cheese, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix in cornmeal.
- With an ice cream scoop and dusted hands, flatten a scoops worth of potato filling into a patty shape, then fold around a tablespoon’s worth of NC barbeque (shredded pork), rolling into a ball on a plate dusted with cornmeal.
- Fry fritters at 350˚ for approximately 5 minutes in small batches in a 4-quart Dutch oven.
- Serve with Lexington style sauce for dipping, or over stewed or sautéed greens.