The month of June is nudging springtime out of the way. Sweet summer sunshine is tapping me on the back, saying ,”Hey, now it’s my time to play”. Summer is upon us and outdoor dining is in full swing. These warm summer days invite us to super cool picnics. Keep it simple by building your meal around a big beautiful Sweet Potato Salad. The bright orange sweet potatoes and red-skin white potatoes make this dish a sunny side of heaven. Fresh dill and a hearty dollop of yogurt are mouthwatering toppers. Prep the night before and chill. You can rest easy by packing deli meats, assorted chesses, fresh fruits, and easy salads.
Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
1. Place the sweet potatoes and red potatoes on a paper-towel-covered microwaveable plate. Microwave on high power for 15 minutes, or until soft, turning once.
2. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the yogurt, dill, mayonnaise and mustard. Add the potatoes and toss well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Be sure to take a selection of your favorite CD’s and your digital camera. For picnics in the park, hiking, or yes, even picnics at work – Try this awesome Backpack Picnic Cooler.