Whole Living: Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes
Martha Stewart’s Whole Living is one of my favorite sites. It takes Martha’s typical recipes and just ups the crunchy-healthy vibe a little bit. This weekend I discovered their sweet potato photo gallery for Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes- jackpot! Martha’s sites usually group recipes into categories, whether it be by ingredient or something like “summer salads” or “one pot meals”. Have fun looking through this wonderful collection of sweet potato recipes. Below is my favorite oneof the bunch (pictured above).
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (8 to 10 ounces each), pricked all over with a fork
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 bunch kale (about 1 1/4 pounds), thick stems removed, leaves torn into large pieces and washed with water left clinging
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high. Add garlic; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to a paper towel to drain.
- Add as much kale as will fit in the skillet; season with salt and pepper. Continue to add kale as the leaves cook down. Cook, tossing frequently until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and red-pepper flakes.
- Open each potato; add salt and pepper. Top with ricotta, kale, and garlic.