3 Ways to Celebrate National Sweet Potato Month
It’s our favorite time of year – National Sweet Potato Month! To celebrate this joyous and delicious month, we encourage you to explore all the ways sweet potatoes can be enjoyed. While baking is a simple and tasty way to savor your favorite spud, many are surprised to learn about all the other ways sweet potatoes can be prepared from matchsticks, noodles, shaved, wedges, planks and more.
Not sure where to begin? You’re not alone! A consumer research survey showed that 20% of young adults don’t feel that sweet potatoes are easy to cook. If you’re part of this crowd, you’re in luck. The North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission partnered with Jeanine Donofrio of Love & Lemons to show you how to cut sweet potatoes in this fun & easy how-to video.
Here are 3 recipes that will ease you into new ways to use sweet potatoes in the kitchen:
- SPIRALIZED – Pinch of Yum’s Chipotle Sweet Potato Noodle Salad is a simple mix of all things spicy and delicious. Roasted corn, pepitas, cilantro, fresh greens and of course swirly, sweet ribbons of sweet potatoes all tossed in a chipotle honey vinaigrette.
- ROUNDS – Grillocracy’s Grilled Sweet Potato Planks are as beautiful as they are delectable. Grilling or roasting rounds (or planks, as Grillocracy calls ’em!) gives you a nice charred, crispy edge with a creamy, baked center. Top with your flavors of choice, you can’t go wrong here!
- SHAVED – Live Eat Learn gets creative by shaving thin slices of sweet potatoes to create a yummy, comforting bowl of Sweet Potato Fettuccini. Tossed in gorgonzola and cranberries, her fettuccini is a not only decadent and delightful, but gluten-free too!
- If you have a larger sweet potato that is difficult to cut, microwave it for 30 seconds to soften the flesh making it easier to cut through.
- To avoid browning, rinse the flesh with cold water.
How will you be celebrating National Sweet Potato Month? Don’t forget to tag @Sweet_Taters in your delicious celebrations!