Atolito de Camote (Little Sweet Potato Hot Drink)
Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by
Sweet Arielle Bakery, Chef Ambassador, Norma Kessler
- 5 cups water
- 2 pounds N.C. Japanese sweet potatoes from , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cinnamon stick preferably Ceylon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2½ cups of milk
- Place water, sweet potatoes, cinnamon and salt in a saucepot set over high heat.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer sweet potatoes until tender (25 to 30 minutes)
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside. Cool sweet potatoes in the cooking liquid to room temperature.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the pot.
- Use an immersion blender or place sweet potatoes and cooking liquid in a blender and process until ingredients are blended.
- Place the mixture in the pot over low heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and milk.
- Heat the mixture, stirring frequently, until it reaches a boil and has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Served warm in small mugs.
Makes 8 to 10 servings