Decadent Sweet Potato Poke Cake
NC Sweet Potato Commission 2nd Place Recipe at the 2015 Mountain State Fair
- 1 box carrot cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip whipped topping
- 1 tub cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz tub whipped cream cheese topping
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix cake mix, sweet potatoes, oil and eggs in a bowl with an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a 9″ x 13″ prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, the poke 20 – 30 holes evenly in cake with handle of a wooden spoon. Pour sweetened condensed milk over cake, filling holes. Let cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat frosting and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in cool whip. Frost cake with cream cheese mixture. Garnish with caramel and pecans if desired.