Dirt Candy Cocktail
Created by Kati Whipple, Asbury, Charlotte, NC
- 2 oz barrel rested gin
- 1 oz sweet potato simple syrup
- 1 dash cardamom bitters
- 1 section of flamed orange peel
- In a cocktail shaker, combine gin, sweet potato simple syrup and cardamom bitters and shake vigorously.
- Serve on the rocks and garnish with a flamed orange peel.
Sweet Potato Simple Syrup
- 2 whole (small) sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- Roast sweet potatoes with skin on until fork tender.
- In a saucepan on the stove mix together sugar and hot water until all the sugar is dissolved on medium heat.
- After sugar is dissolved, add cinnamon sticks, cloves and nutmeg. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- After the sweet potatoes are finished roasting, peel off the skin and discard.
- Add sweet potatoes to the simple syrup and let it cool down in the fridge, sit for 24 hours.
- Double strain the simple syrup, removing all of the solid sweet potato and spices.