Maple Sweet Potato Pecan Burgers
Recipe: Maple Sweet Potato Pecan Burgers with Sweet Onions
Summary: Adapted from The Tolerant Vegan, Winner of the 2012 No More ‘Mallows Contest
- 3 medium North Carolina sweet potatoes (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pecans, chopped (see Note)
- 1 Vidalia onion, very coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich buns
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes and microwave together until soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Mash firmly into measuring cups to make 2 cups; transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water and the quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cover, until the water is nearly absorbed and the quinoa appears transparent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove quinoa from the stove; allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Stir in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and the cayenne pepper. Add mixture to the mashed sweet potatoes along with the kale, cooked quinoa, pecans and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well.
- Form the mixture into four patties; place on a well-oiled baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, turning once at the halfway point.
- When the burgers have around 15 minutes left to bake, make the onion topping. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onion; sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Cook and stir for 12 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add remaining 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Cook and stir until onions are slightly brown, about 3 more minutes; remove from heat.
- Transfer burgers to buns and top each with onion mixture.
Number of servings (yield): 4