Oven Baked Sweet Potato Pie Doughnuts
2015 North Carolina State Fair 52 Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes Recipe Contest First place recipe developed by: Mellissa Ubbens of Cary, NC
These Sweet Potato Pie Doughnuts are delicious served plain or with toppings. Try with pecan crunch, cream cheese or powdered sugar! How will you enjoy yours?
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cup NC sweet potatoes (baked and mashed without skin)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
Pecan Crunch Topping (optional):
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely ground roasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- In a mixer, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking powder.
- Once mixed, slowly add the flour.
- Fill a nonstick or greased doughnut pan 3⁄4 full with batter.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Mix melted butter and maple syrup together.
- Drizzle melted butter and maple syrup on doughnuts.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and ground roasted pecans together.
- Sprinkle mixture on doughnuts.
- Drizzle any leftover syrup/butter mixture over the nut topping to help stick.
Recipe analyzed for 6 servings. Recipe analyzed without topping.