Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by
For the pork:
- 1½ pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups pineapple juice
For the rice:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long-grained rice
For the salsa:
- 2 cups drained pineapple tidbits
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapenos (to taste), seeded and diced
For the sweet potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scubbed, peeled and sliced
- Vegetable oil for frying
To finish burritos:
- 4 10-inch spinach tortillas
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup grated cotija cheese
Prepare the pork:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Place vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat
- When oil is hot, place pork shoulder in the pan and brown the meat on all sides.
- Pour the pineapple juice in the pot, cover pot and place it in the preheated oven.
- Cook until pork is fork tender. (Check the meat after 2 hours and cook longer if need be)
- Remove pork from the oven and cool. When the pork has cooled, shred the meat by hand and season with salt to taste.
Prepare the rice:
- Place water, tomato paste, onion and salt in a medium sauce pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring the mixture to dilute tomato paste.
- Add the rice, reduce heat to low and cover pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook rice over very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rice stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover.
- Fluff rice just before serving.
Prepare the salsa:
- Toss pineapple tidbits, chopped onion, cilantro, salt, lime and chopped jalapeno together in a large bowl.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.
Prepare the sweet potatoes:
- Line a dish with paper towel.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, fry sweet cubed potatoes 4-5 minutes, until browned and tender, stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to paper towel-lined dish.
- Lay out all filling ingredients, including spinach and cotija cheese.
- Place 1 tortilla on a large work surface.
- Spread ¼ cup of rice slightly off center near the end of the tortilla that is closest to you
- Place a few tablespoons of pork over the rice, add some sweet potato cubes, then salsa and cheese.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla in so that they nearly touch.
- Use your hands to keep the sides folded in while using your thumbs to fold up the bottom of the tortilla closest to you.
- Fold the tortilla over the ingredients and keep rolling.
- Lay the burrito, seam side down on a serving platter and continue with remaining tortillas.
Makes 4 servings