Sweet Potato and Black Bean Frittata
* NOTE: A cast iron skillet works best, as the final cooking steps are done in the oven!
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 15oz. can black beans
- 1 11oz. can of Mexicorn
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese(mix of cheddar & smoked Gouda works best)
- Jalapeños from a jar
- 1 ripe avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees
- Thinly slice onion and dice sweet potato into small cubes
- Heat oil over medium heat, sauté onion over medium heat for 3 minutes
- Add sweet potato
- Salt & pepper to taste and cover with lid until sweet potatoes soften (approx. 10 minutes)
- Remove cover and cook until all water evaporates. Add corn and cook until vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Drain black beans
- Add beans and mix well
- Beat eggs with 1/4 cup water using salt and pepper to your preference.
- Add egg mixture to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and cook just until eggs begin to set
- Sprinkle cheese and jalapeños over the top
- Put skillet in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes
- Turn up to broil just until cheese begins to bubble
- Remove from oven and top individual servings with avocado, salsa or sour cream