Sweet Potato Chipotle Coconut Bisque
Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by
Savorez Mexican Restaurant
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and roasted
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a medium sized pot.
- Add onions, garlic, and cumin seeds and reduce heat, and gently saute the mixture until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chipotle and sweet potatoes.
- Stir in coconut milk, stock and curry powder. Bring to a boil, and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder and lime juice.
- Remove pot from heat and blend soup with hand-held blender until smooth. Alternately, allow soup to cool and puree in a blender or food processor and then reheat the soup.
- Fold in cilantro and taste.
- Add more stock if the soup is too thick.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.