Sweet Potato Sliders
Recipe Developed by Tessa Nguyen, RD, LDN in partnership with NCSPC
Lean beef sliders crusted with shredded sweet potatoes make for a versatile gluten free, low cost and diabetes friendly entrée.
1 pound lean ground beef (93% lean, 7% fat)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 sweet potato, cut into ¼-inch strips
1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 lime, zest and juice
- Mix together ground beef, salt, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil. Divide seasoned beef into 4 even sliders.
- Press each slider into the sweet potato strips, pressing firmly to ensure each side is coated and sweet potato adheres well.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Cook sliders for 5 minutes on each side, until sweet potatoes are golden brown and sliders are cooked through.
- While sliders are cooking, make the basil mayo. Mix together 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise and the juice and zest of 1 lime.
- Serve sliders hot with the basil mayo and any other slider toppings including lime wedges, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced onions.
You can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried basil for the 1 tablespoon of fresh basil.
Recipe analyzed for 6 servings, without mayonnaise and fiber content will be boosted when served with burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, etc.)
Number of servings (yield): 6