Twice Baked Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese & Pumpkin Seeds
Recipe: Twice Baked Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese & Pumpkin Seeds
- 6 large sweet potatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes with a rough brush or veggie cleaner. Dry well. Coat sweet potatoes with a thin layer of olive oil. With a fork, prick sweet potatoes all over, about 6 times.
- Grilling instructions: Preheat grill and set burners on indirect medium heat. Place sweet potatoes in the center of the cooking grate; grill-roast until the skin is crisp and the inside is soft but the skin is still intact, about 1 hour. Remove from grill; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grilling alternative: Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake until tender but not mushy, about 1 hour. Let cool to lukewarm. Reduce heat to 350°F.
- To make the twice-baked potatoes: Choose the four potatoes with the most skin intact and cut them in half lengthwise. Leave a 1/2-inch margin of the potato intact, scoop out the sweet potato flesh with a spoon and place in the bowl of a food processor; reserve skins. Peel remaining two sweet potatoes and add flesh to the bowl; discard skins.
- To bowl add yogurt, maple syrup, chipotle, cinnamon and salt; puree until smooth. (see note) Place mixture in a piping bag or spoon mixture into reserved shells; top with goat cheese.
- Place on a rack over a baking sheet; bake until filling is warmed through and cheese is melty and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. To serve, garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Mixture can be refrigerated for up to 2 days at this point. Follow remaining instructions and bake in oven until filling is warmed through, about 50 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 8